Sunday 25 September 2016

Be Messy

Reflection 3

Top 5 Things to Look for in a Summer Camp. The Huffington Post. (2015). Retrieved online from http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tara-chklovski/top-5-things-to-look-for-_b_7429818.html 


Highlights

The highlight of this week’s class for me was the open ended questions. There was an activity in class where in groups we had to take closed ended questions and turn them into open-ended questions. I realized that open-ended questions give students a lot of room for thinking. Many students will have a variety of solutions for one question. This encourages thinking and creativity. This can also empower students to come up with their own strategies for a certain problem. When students become thinkers they would want to explore around. Exploring gives students room to make mistakes. Mistakes can take them to the correct solutions. Therefore, I think that mistakes shouldn’t be looked down upon, because it can grow brains.

Make a Mistake

Math is a world of mistakes. You are encouraged to try different ways, explore, experiment around, and have fun with the challenges that math can provide. Students should never be discouraged if they make a mistake, but they should be encouraged to try their ways differently. Jo Boaler says, the more mistakes you make, the more your brain grows. Students should be encouraged toward a growth mindset. All students should have a positive attitude and say, “yes I can do this!” for any challenge that is presented in front of them. So how can you allow your students to make mistakes?

·      Make a safe learning environment
·      Encourage students when they make mistakes
·      Have less competition in the classroom
·      Make your classroom a learning environment
·      Let students learn from each other
·      Create a respectful environment in the classroom
·      Come up with strategies that tell students making mistakes is okay
·      Encourage growth mindset
·      Show your students real life examples of people who became successful by making mistakes over and over again

Above is a list of ways that a teacher can use to let students feel comfortable making mistakes. Students should feel that if they make mistakes, they can learn from it. The journey does not end only when you make a mistake, but you continue experimenting until you get your “ah-ha” moment.

Not About Speed

Math is about quality rather than quantity. Some of the videos that I saw in the math mindset module reminded me of multiplication drills that I used to do as a student. Speed never taught me multiplication tables. I might have ended up just memorizing numbers, but never understood those numbers. At least I did not understand until I started to take my time and learn by myself. I have taught myself math throughout elementary school, because I never really understood anything from my classes.

I think that speed can intimidate students, and when you are intimidated you can get stressed. It is hard to think under stress. If you are fast are you really learning? Understanding math deeply is more important than how fast you can solve a problem.

I want to encourage students to think deeply about a problem so that they understand the core concept. If they understand the core concept they can then solve any problem at hand. In my future classes, as a future teacher, I want to make a difference in how math is taught to students. I want students to have fun and to like math as much as they would like any other subject.


References

Boaler, Jo. Mistakes Grow Your Brain. (2016). Retrieved online from https://www.youcubed.org/think-it-up/mistakes-grow-brain/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Samia!
    I thought that your blog post provided a really great overview to everything that we had learned this week.
    I especially enjoyed your list of suggestions for creating a classroom environment where students feel comfortable making mistakes. This is one area that has always been a real struggle for me in school - fear of making a mistake and being seen as stupid! I really think that this fear holds a lot of our students back and doesn't allow for them to reach their full potential. All of your suggestions are very applicable to the math classroom and across the curriculum, and I think that all teachers should take note and consider implementing these strategies into their own classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samia,

    Providing open ended and parallel tasks to students allows students to see math as a subject that is dynamic and not static; if they are successful in attempting/solving these types of questions, they will be more comfortable tackling complex questions.

    A strategy I mentioned in class "My Favourite Mistake" is a great strategy for students to realize that making a mistake is okay; that's how you learn.

    The same mindset applies when we are learning a sport or an instrument - we practice and adopt a growth mindset in these situations and students need to transfer this to learning in the classroom.

    I'd also highlight a famous person on a regular basis to demonstrate growth mindset; from Thomas Edison to Einstein and from Walt Disney to Oprah, there are so many great examples that students can related to!

    And thank you for highlighting that math is not about speed! The best mathematicians not only take their time to think about a problem but they collaborate and work together to solve the problem.

    Shelly :)

    ReplyDelete