Sunday 11 September 2016

Go Deep!

Reflection 1

Before starting playing this game, do you ask yourself why is one box moving right and the other moving up?
Exercise your intuition.
Image retrieved online from http://gameaboutsquares.com 


Here I am back on my blog to talk more about math. To be honest, I never thought even blogging about math requires thinking about the main idea, just like thinking what is the concept behind a certain math formula. Well, after much thinking and reflection I think I am ready to share my thoughts.

I find my math classes very interesting, because I get to be two personalities at once: Student and Teacher. It is now not just about solving the problem, finishing it and handing it in for marks. Math is now about solving the problem to make it easier for our students. Math is now about finding different ways to solve a particular problem. Math is now about thinking from the student’s perspective and connecting it with the teacher’s resources. So how do I fit in as a teacher?

Can I solve the grades 4-8 EQAO problems with no difficulty? Yes I can, but can I solve it in a way that my student’s can understand it? Do I specifically understand how I solved the problem? Can I explain to myself why I solved the problem that particular way?

Math is all about ideas now. Whether I passed all my math classes in my previous school years including university level classes does not matter so much anymore. Math is not just about doing it now, but it is about why am I doing it the way I do it. I want my students to understand the idea behind it. I want my students to understand how they got to the results. I do not want it to be a ‘plug n’ chug’ class for them.

Now for students to be able to understand the idea of math, they have to have space for trials. Trials allow you to solve a particular problem few times by making mistakes. Yes! Making mistakes is key here. If someone out there does not agree with me, at least Jo Boaler agrees with me. In an article Gary Antonick mentions that Jo Boaler said the following to him:

“Good teachers have said this for a long time — mistakes help us. We can learn from mistakes. But this is a much more powerful message: that we can learn only from making mistakes. We need kids making mistakes. If kids are not making mistakes — if they’re not struggling — we’re limiting their brain growth....” (Jo Boaler: Mathematical Mindsets, by Gary Antonick)


I think students will make mistakes if they feel safe enough to do so. They will feel safe enough to make mistakes if they do not fear something. I ask myself sometimes what could students fear the most in a classroom setting? I think it is punishment, getting put down, being looked down upon or being made of fun. It is easy to be made fun of in a math classroom. I think it is up to the teacher to eliminate all of that and make it fun for everyone. If they solve a problem wrong they should not get penalized for it, let them play around with it, discover, think, and be messy! It will get them somewhere.



References

Antonick, Gary. Jo Boaler: Mathematical Mindsets. The New York Times. http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/boaler-math-mindset/?_r=0. April 18, 2016.



1 comment:

  1. Samia,

    When creating and solving problems, try and brainstorm as many ways as you can think of in terms of how students will solve it; what misconceptions do you think they will have?

    By solving the question beforehand and anticipating misconceptions, it will allow the consolidation portion of the lesson to be much more effective.

    We want to provide challenging questions to our students because we want them to struggle; it is through this struggle that they learn, which in turns allows for increased connections between neurons.

    I would highly recommend going over Jo Boaler's norms at the start of the year and focus on building a safe and positive (mathematics) classroom.

    Shelly :)

    ReplyDelete